Wednesday, May 21, 2008

New Cineplex & ``The Forbidden Kingdom’’ To Kill My Boredom

New Cineplex & ``The Forbidden Kingdom’’ To Kill My Boredom

I just couldn’t resist myself to venture and survey the new Cineplex built and located in Giant, a hypermarket complex at Kulai, Johor, last Sunday after completing my ``mini’’ shopping. The newly painted Cineplex emits strong chemical odor which engulfs the atmosphere all right. Unlike many curious visitors whom unable to withstand strong smell when they casually dropped by to find out more about this new Cineplex existence, I possibly can’t smell strong enough and either be put off! Thanks to my sinusitis conditions where residue of polyps still covers my smell sensor/receptors.

The Cineplex consist of 8 halls in all but only two are in operation to-date. I decided to test on the quality, sound systems, comfort level and set my own ratings. Each bloc could accommodate 100 people sitting capacity. The sitting chairs covers are hard, made of polyester (PE) sheets. Rate it 6/10 points, spaciousness – 7/10 points, sound system- 8/10 points, Overall, I would rate this Cineplex 7/10! Okla.! No need to drive a long distance to JB city’s Perling, City Square or Pelagi to watch any favorite movies. Now it’s just a few minutes’ away (less than 5 minutes).

Checked out what are the movies ``on’’ for today. They are screening Forbidden Kingdom and Narsia. I decided to try out Forbidden Kingdom as I’d just read the critics/comments in a local daily newspaper. It reportedly had received handsome collection in the first day of world wide Premiere screenings. I purchased a ticket. It shows the movie shall start at 9.00pm, but its only 7.30pm now! While waiting, I decided to go for a ``window shopping’’, an unusual activity to me as I am not an ardent shopper myself. Economic activities in this complex were beehives with retailers and customers, mainly locals and foreign workers.

I went into the cinema at 8.40pm – the person first to go in (hall 7). It was quite. I found my seat, row E, seat number 8. It was a comfortable sitting location overlooking the main screen. ``Not bad after all’’, I thought. No pop-corns and cola drops, just plain ``sky-juice’’ to quench my thirst! The movie starts exactly at 9.00pm. ``Good, timing is followed precisely! For a moment I thought I was in Japan!

Jackie Chan and Jet Li acting in English! What a movie and contradicting acting from 2 polished martial arts experts. It was a superb and excellent movie, nevertheless. I really do enjoy the whole story and the moral depictions. Not to mention, the mesmerizing martial arts scenes of Kung Fu fighting’s and I came to realize what was Kung Fu all about from the inner perspective.

Jackie Chan as the drunkard immortal monk, Jet Li as the calm but failed monk, the American young side kick who learns to ``unlearn’’, a maiden who learns too late to know the consequence of a having revengeful heart. Each one learns lessons of life through an adventure based journey to return a ``magic pole’’ belonging to a heavenly kingdom’s monkey God who had felled prey to Kingdoms’ Jade General due own weakness.

It was a beautiful story set in ancient China. It's kind a combination of modern settings in Chinatown, America and a time travel to the past to return ``magic pole’’ to the owner (Jet Li as the Monkey god’’) & sets him free from a spell castes by the evil Jade General. I went home happily after killing my moments of boredom after watching ``The Forbidden Kingdom’’.