Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's Day

Father’s Day: Remembering My Father - Krishnan Peter Pereira
      Just barely after Mother’s day event, Father’s Day celebration too followed suit. What an amazing world of `theme branding’ as part of the grander commercialization scheme of strategy to pull wool out from public’s eyes to depart all their hard earned savings and getting them indulge in celebrating yet another `cool’, emotion stirring economic activity whilst entertaining conveniently, scheming or nicely naming it - ``Happy Father’s Day'', undoubtedly appreciating all the fathers around the world in a polite way.
================================================================
      My father was born in Mersing, Johor, a fisherman village, town, and east of Johor. It was a coastal town on South China Sea. He was sort of reserved man. I don’t have much information about his childhood days, nevertheless. I knew that he was a Eurasian - blend of few sub-ethnic Indian and Portuguese blood. His father’s ancestors are mainly sailors from Portugal, who are famous for their seafaring adventures to Far East lands. His father’s roots could be traced to Malacca’s Portuguese settlements, Madras, Pondicherry, and Kerala and back to Portugal.

      His father’s name is Peter Pereira, a Eurasian Roman Catholic - mix parentage - Portugese,Tamil and Malayalam. I was told that my grandfather had died when he was just barely 7 years old. His late father married to my grandma, a Tamilian / Indian ethnic and they had 5 children. He was so attached to his hometown that my father used to travel often back to Mersing, even though he lived in Segamat almost all his entire life. He is basically a man of no words when he is in his `equilibrium state’’.

      He has the ability to speak in many Chinese dialects as a result from working at a very young age in a motor vehicle workshop. Disinterested in studies, he joined as a car mechanic apprentice at a Chinese owned garage at the age of 6 and subsequently picked up the ability to converse in many Chinese dialects such as Hokkien, Cantonese, Mandarin as well as Indian ethnic dialects, namely Malayalam, Tamil, and Telegu.

      He joined PWD (Public Works Department), JKR, a ``fitter mechanic’’ and remained as a JKR’s workshop foreman till his retirement. His early work postings were in Johor Bahru, Mersing’s Tanjung Gemuk, Chaah, Kuantan and finally settled in Segamat.

      A highly skilled worker, he gets many work assignments, as far as from Singapore and Penang. Sadly, he never had the chance to see his life through without seeing his grandchildren. He passed away just after his first year of work retirement before reaching age of 57. I was working in Singapore when he had his last breath at Sultanah Aminah’s Hospital, Johor Bharu.

      My rapport with my father was a little subdued and hardly a warm one! Somewhat I always felt I was not in tune’ with his characters and in that it makes us not close at most of the times. Rarely spoke to him, except when there are subject matters needed to be discussed. The conversation would not last more than a few minutes long. My admiration about him confined within the frame of his work skills and multilingual spoken language ability.

      To some extent, I learned many lessons from him from a different perspective. Why things are meant to be in that way? Could things be different from how I envisaged it to be then, especially in a father and son relationship? I may never have the chance to understand him and he too may never know how I expected him to be different and how things would have been good if he had that extra ability to push us up in the ladder of life.


      Unlike as compared to a special kind of inner bond created between a mother and son in most relationships, father and son bonds are somewhat difficult to be explained. It is not just mere feeling sentiments, but a glutinously telepathic inner force bond that acted in a certain manner that actually binds. Let’s that remain, as it was then and now. I hold my palm together, tight and offer my silent prayers. May his soul rest in peace.....and whisper slowly - ` Happy Father's Day'.