Thursday, April 27, 2023

Completing PhD against all odds.

 My journey in completing my PhD was not an easy one. I come from a troubled background, with an abusive alcoholic father. Despite this I was determined to succeed academically no matter how long it takes.I had an ambition to be a medical Doctor since childhood but never materialized. 

I found refuge in my work and studies foremost and worked tirelessly to excell in my field of study. However the challenges were not limited just on my personal life but also compromised health condition towards the end of my PhD program that I almost gave up. 

Upon completing my Diploma in Electrical & Electronics Engineering with First Class Diploma,  I failed to enroll to number of universities in UK and Australia not due to my results but could not afford the fees. I started my job career in Singapore and pursue part time degree education. However, after a few years, I forced to terminate my studies due to financial constraints.  I tried few universities in similar manner, and that too ended in failure due to inability to pay up university fees. 

After seven years in Singapore,  I decided to come back to Malaysia for good. Nevertheless, my desire to complete my higher education doesn't end. I continued pursue MBA program while employed as Quality Manager. Sacrificed weekends on academic coursework, classic music lessons in Singapore.

Managed to complete my MBA in 3 years while taking care two manufacturing plant. It indeed took a tool on my health condition. I had to quit job to regain my health back on track. I went to my sister's house in Melaka and managed to enrol on a PhD program for 5 years. Luck was in my side. I secured a government grant. 

Trauma from past experience indeed haunted me while pursuing my PhD. Luckily I had few wonderful peers who kept my spirit high at all times. Finally after years of hard work and determination I submitted my thesis. Passed my VIVA at one go. Despite the many challenges and setbacks, I made it and finally graduated with a doctoral degree in management in 2022.